Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hooligan happenings

Ok, so this article didn't answer my question...but it did give me some interesting statistics.  It talked about when and where of the football violence, as well as the number of injuries incurred and weapons used.  Basically, according to the stats, football violence doesn't actually happen that often.  About one in 20 matches has a violence report, where as only one in more than 8,000 fans is arrested.  This of course is referring to the whole year, and is therefore not technically applicable to every match, as one match may have a much higher average.  Also, as most of the violence occurs after the match and away from the grounds, the violence might not even be reported.  So, unfortunately, the stats are only part of the picture.  But I did fond it interesting that there weren't that many incidents.  I figured that each match would have a gang fight afterward, but obviously that is not totally the case.

1 comment:

  1. Stats often don't tell the whole tale--that is very true.

    Again, I'm going to suggest that you get your hands on some British newspapers and see how some of these incidents are reported. What kind of biases do you perceive? That's what I'd like to hear some more about!

    ReplyDelete